's, BI Developer, unofficial DayZ Zombie RPG
has really kicked up a buzz over the last few weeks, with Kotaku
describing his DayZ survival mod for Arma2 the "the most interesting thing to happen to PC gaming this year" and the "greatest zombie game of all time", and PC Gamer
describing it as one of the most "important things to happen in gaming this year" and "gaming’s best story machine".But just what is this DayZ thing, anyway?
It's not the lovechild of Jay-Z and Day, as I'd thought when I first saw the name flooding my Twitter list. Yeah, I was disappointed too, but in actuality it's even crazier than that. It's an open-world fight for survival, and by "survival" I don't mean "cover system." You'll be scavenging for supplies here, before hunkering down in an abandoned building and clutching your flimsy supplies to your chest, crying yourself to sleep and hoping the zombies won't use your time of rest to feast on you. The mod's big draw is the way it plays with your emotions -- players tend to develop close bonds with their avatars because there's no quickload button here. Death is for real -- and it can even happen at the hands of other players. Who can you trust to team up with and protect you? Who can you trust not to kill you for a can of beans?
The latest DayZ patch, aptly titled "More New Ways To Get Fucked Up", adds all sorts of realism-strengthening goodies, such as illness and a temperature system. You'll need campfires to keep warm, but let's hope they don't draw the attention of any sick, desperate players seeking medicine.
"Arma2 has shot back into the Steam sales charts and has even topped sales for the week and looks set to do that again," says a Bohemia Interactive spokesperson in a press release. People have clearly been buying it again to give DayZ a try -- a quick glance of my Steam friends list at any given moment of the day seems to confirm this.
Have you been playing? What's the longest you've managed to stay alive? Oh man. Hey. Why are you staring at me like that? We can share these antibiotics, you know. There's no need to kill anybody.Get more infos on DayZ Forums
Build 1.5.8 rolling update
Patch 1.5.8 a.k.a. "More New ways to get fucked up"
So before it was zombies + players + ladders vs. you.
!!!!!!!!!! WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE CONTENT SERVERS ARE BEING MAXED OUT SO DO NOT REPLY BACK WITH 500 SERVER ERROR!!!!
Now its zombies + players + the environment vs. you.
UPDATE : 21 MAY 2012
* dayz_code 1.5.8
* dayz_equip 1.2.4
* dayz_sfx 1.1.2
* dayz 1.2.5
* dayz_weapons 1.1.2
* TO INTERACT WITH MOST ITEMS: YOU NOW NEED TO OPEN GEAR MENU (G) THEN RIGHT CLICK ON THE ITEM! SUCH AS BANDAGING AND EATING AND SHIT
* This is a pretty major update. I don't really know what affect the new sickness and temperature system will have on player behavior especially with antibiotics being so scarce.
* It is the genesis of an idea, so please remember this might cause havoc. You need to be careful.
* To light a fire, you need matches and wood in your inventory. Place more wood in the inventory of a fireplace to keep the fire going.
* A fire that does not have wood in it will go out when you try to light it.
* You can tell you have an infection, because your character will start coughing. The infection causes you to loose blood down to a minimum of 6000. This leaves you with reduced blood until you take antibiotics.
* [NEW] Server cleanup system replaced with a more agressive one
* [NEW] Inventory Interaction system (right-click on items in gear screen to bring up interactions)
* [NEW] Temperature System now implemented (effects are limited)
* [NEW] Chance of catching an infection the lower your temperature
* [NEW] Chance of catching an infection from already infected players
* [NEW] Water can be filled in ponds, all water pumps, wells, but not the sea
* [NEW] Forced disconnection saving for abort and alt+F4
* [NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths
* [NEW] Adrenaline rush from panicing causes greately increased hunger for a while
* [NEW] Bandaging Sound when bandaging yourself/someone
* [NEW] Coughing sound when you have an infection
* [NEW] Camera Shake when temperature drops extremely low
* [NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas
* [NEW] Fire requires wood to keep burning
* [NEW] Various Loot spawn balancing changes
* [FIXED] Should not be pellets for the Winny
* [FIXED] Whinny is way to powerful and quiet (mmmm your tears will be delicious)
* [FIXED] Helicopter loot despawning too fast
* [FIXED?] Too many zombies for the Carebears to be able to play
* [FIXED] Fog is way too thick
* [FIXED] Climbing a ladder with a pistol will cause you to fall
* [FIXED] Zombies not attracted to Flares and Chemlights
* [FIXED] Panic noises going apeshit all the time
* [FIXED] Zombie spotted alert far too quiet (increased slightly)