Blake's PRADAR (Player Radar) by
Description: Firstly just like my other addons, real life is limiting my time online, as such rather than continue to let these items gather dust on my harddrive, I thought I would release them and let the community both test the MP aspects, and hopefully enjoy their use. Hence the alpha status. Testing has been limited to my test dedicated server with myself only on. Group and leadership menu tests used ai insitu of players. One of the things I found frustrating at times was my situational awareness, involving both my group members as well as my ability to interact with other groups effectively. The more visual clues that are available help reduce the critical communications channels to more important transmissions. Rather than the usual who's that or where are you etc. This was even more valuable to me when leading a group. Knowing quickly where players are helps you to quickly issue orders more effectively. Espessially in time critical moments. Using mods that highlighted names helped, but generally required you to focus your cursor over them. That is if you have one visible. I like a minimal information display ideally, the more data presented constantly makes me feel more like a terminator visual interface than a basic grunt on the ground. Bright red names like neon signs really didn't help the immersion for me personally. I also wanted a better sense of player distances to me of those units behind me. In the real world you would have many cues that somebody was close behind you. In arma generally it was only when you quickly tried to duck back into a doorway as a tank came round the corner, and suddenly you find yourself moon walking on the spot. It is possible for two players with similar names to end up with the same abbrievation. It works by not including any vowels if the name is longer than 4 characters. It then takes the first 4 no vowel characters (excluding the first character) to create the abbreviation. Description of information presented by PRADAR: - Primary role is to present an emulation of a persons senses outside of the players vision. Eg peripheral vision, sound, smell etc. Specific to the players side. - It will only display the eight closest friendly contacts, for each component names and dots. - All visuals fade with distance as things are harder to track with secondary senses, or are harder to id who is who at greater distances generally. - Information is only available whilst not in a vehicle. - This information is presented as coloured dots around the edge of the screen:
- Small dot = Man character. - While holding down force commanding key (default space), under each friendly unit will appear an abrieviated version of that players name. This was purposely designed to be dull, one to avoid a neon effect, but also to help emulate that certain terrain and light conditions will make an id on somebody harder. Names of players in your group are slightly brighter for functionality and a sense of familiarity with those you are regularly in close contact with. Menus: To reduce cluttering the action menu, the PRADAR options will only be visible to the player while they hold down both the lean left and lean right keys simultaneously. Three brightness levels. High, Low and Off (While off is selected, dots will appear when the player holds the force commanding key). PRADAR reboot. I had a couple of rare ocations where the information would not reappear after exiting a vehicle. So this is like a soft reset to restart the code. Join Group. If you hover your cursor over a person from another group and are close enough to them, you will be given the option to join that persons group. Make Leader. If you are the current leader of a group you have the option to give command to another person while holding your cursor over them and are close enough to them. In single player if you wanted to view the group and leader options place this in the editor:
- Large dot = vehicle.
- Green dot = Non group member, or group member that has not been viewed for a while.
- Blue dot = Group member who you have resently viewed.
- Red dot = Non group member, or group member that has not been viewed for a while that is very close.
- Purple dot = Group member who you have resently viewed who is very close.
Blakes_PRADAR_Debug = 1; Installation: As we always recommend use modfolders to seperate the custom content from the official game content to prevent problems. For different ways to set up your modfolders and use them please visit our FAQ. When you are using the Steam version you can find a Steam mod installation and activation FAQ here. Included .pbo files: pradar2.pbo Usage: PRADAR automatically activates if the addon is installed correctly. To help reduce any conflict with mission designer introductions, the display will not commence until the player starts moving forward. Media:
Video by Variable - Using Blake's PRADAR During a Coop Game
Changelog: v0.1.4.3a - Fixed problem where a report file error "Bad conversion: scalar" occurred if a player had a short name. (Thanks to Variables friend Mike for the find and solution!) v0.1.4.2a - Fixed stray dot if only one friendly present at start of mission. v0.4.1a - Changed Menu variable initialisation to span multiple missions. v0.4a - Changed how I store the menu options so players only need to set once per mission. Values are retained through respawning. Thanks to Variable's friend Mike on the how to for that. - Changed the short names below the icons to be either permanent on, or shown while force commanding pressed. If the equipment list stays visible when changing the setting tap force commanding again to remove it. v0.3 - Fixed Menu items not properly resetting after rebooting PRADAR. - Changed code to hopefully eliminate PRADAR not functioning after exiting a vehicle. - Remove group numbering which didn't work if custom names were used. - Moved Icon label position to below the icons. - Added the ability to alter the group names positions. - Added a quick abbreviated list of groups primary and secondary weapons or vehicle positions. - Added menu item to toggle group labels and list on and off. - Added option to allow Labels while in a vehicle. - Added menu item to toggle labels on and off while in a vehicle. Menu not available in vehicle need to select prior to boarding. v0.1.2a - Changed menus to allow dot visibility setting to remain whether dot are set to visible or only when names are displayed. - Created a list of the group names with their corresponding group number to match the icons the leaders have at the botton of the screen. - Created a menu item that toggles whether the group list is displayed when pressing force commanding. v0.1.1 alpha - fixed a problem where all vehicles of all sides were tracked instead of only friendly manned vehicles. v0.1 alpha - first public release Forum topic: - BI forums - Community Base Addons